Friday, July 20, 2012

A dream within a dream

Dreamcatchers.
When I was little I was fascinated by the thingamajig that hung above my bed. Later, I was told that in Native American culture, a dreamcatcher is used as a charm to protect sleeping children from bad dreams. Made of a hoop, with a woven/netted centre and feathers and beads, this ancient symbol always intrigued me. When I was 19, I stumbled upon an artsy sketch of a dreamcatcher and instantly knew it was going to be my tattoo. Today, it is very much a part of who I am. I'd like to think that all things that come my way are filtered in accordance to the age old belief -the bad things getting caught in the net and burning away with the light of day and the good things sliding down the feathers, to be retained. Hence, it is only fitting that it is a part of my blog.

No comments: