Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Take this Waltz? No, thank you.

I have been pestering my boyfriend to download 'Take this Waltz' for the last one week. Now that I've just finished watching it, I'm wondering why I even bothered with the persistent reminders in the first place. With no story as such, and eccentric characters, I sat on the edge of my seat...waiting for this movie to end. By 'no story as such', I mean that one can hardly call a woman who is never happy a noteworthy story line. And by eccentric characters (I have nothing against them) I mean that this bunch takes flakey to another level of comprehension - one that you ironically cannot comprehend.

Okay, so our little confused protagonist Margot  is a shifty and strange woman. In fact, she plays this role so well that you feel she has some sort of mental ailment and sympathize with her. She and her husband Lou share a relationship that is not easy to understand either - one minute they are professing their love for each other (I love you so much I want to grind your spleen in a meat grinder) and the next, they're arguing because he never lets her touch him. Daniel, curious #3, has 'fallen' for our slightly harebrained Margot who he meets on a flight and who just happens to be his neighbour (wow, coincidences really know when to make appearances). Feeling unsatisfied with her five year marriage with Lou, she begins to meet Daniel on the sly, asking him 'what would you do to me now?' to which he explains his erotic fantasies in great detail, after which she tells him 'that can never happen, I'm married'. I mean, way to crash a man's hopes Margot. On another occasion, they just jump into a pool and swim around and make bubbles underwater, after which they decide to part ways as Daniel doesn't want to be 'in between' Margot's marriage. At which point, you just have to stand and clap for Daniel, who walks away from his beloved and so graciously moves out of the neighbourhood. However, you are made to abruptly sit down when he sends her a postcard with a date and time to meet him near some lighthouse (some people never give up, do they?) Distraught and desperate, Margo eventually leaves Lou who pathetically lets her go and wallows in pity and acts as if it is his fault for not fixing their marriage earlier. In no time, Margot is in her stalker lover's arms and they show various scenes of love making, and then another woman is added to them (the scenes) and later, another man. Eventually, an insatiable Margo realizes she isn't happy in her current relationship with Daniel either. Here, you are really left to feel like she just needed all that action to realize that she has some deeper issues to sort out.

The entire message can be summed up in this one dialogue from the movie : 'Life has a gap in it..it just does. You  don't go crazy trying to fill it.' - while this makes perfect sense in respect to running off with another man to fulfil the disruption in your other relationships, I only wish the entire thing was relayed to the audience in a more bearable manner.

No comments: